Today I did some small home improvements on our new home. The shutters hadn’t been painted in a long time. I read some blogs about how to paint aluminum stuff on houses and did the following:
1. Washed shutters with some water and all purpose cleaner.
2. After drying, I used a fine grit sandpaper and ran across all areas to ensure primer adhesion, then wiped loose dust with damp cloth.
3. Bought some spray primer; Rustoleum grey tinted flat.
4. Covered with 2-3 coats, waiting a few minutes in between each. It was pretty nice to use.
5. Repeated steps 1-4 on new mailbox too. It was strange sanding off the nice shiny black finish but I want it to match the shutters. I have to do 2 more shutters also. Will show final results in posts to follow.